Dr. Meggie Smith
Try this simple and delectable blueberry treat as a dessert this summer or all year round. You can use either quick frozen berries that whip up into a soup in minutes or fresh from the market berries that have been refrigerated for about an hour. Either way, you’ll soon be singing the happy blues for blueberry soup. From Anita Brown Culinary Coach
Very Blueberry Soup
4 cups frozen blueberries
4 cups red or green grapes, stemmed, rinsed
¼ cup or less sugar (taste fruit for sweetness)
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
Whipped cream, ice cream or dollop of plain yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon for garnish.
- Place frozen blueberries, grapes, sugar and lemon juice into blender.
- Blend until liquefied and smooth – about 1 minute.
- Pour soup through a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl to catch all those tiny seeds. Press the liquid against the strainer with a wooden spoon as it passes through.
- Discard seeds. Serve immediately or keep in an airtight container for a day. Be sure to stir or whisk thoroughly – immediately before serving.
- If using fresh berries use the same ingredient list.
- Rinse and pat dry berries. Mash berries, sugar, lemon juice, sugar in large bowl with fork, wooden spoon or potato masher until berries give up their juice and sugar is dissolved.
- Cover and place in frig for one hour.
- Transfer chilled berry mixture to blender and add grapes. Liquefy for about a minute. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Discard seeds.
- Cover, refrigerate between 4-24 hours. Stir well, just before serving.
- Variation: Use hulled strawberries, frozen or fresh!
If you’d like to learn more about how to prepare recipes like this in your own kitchen, consider personalized cooking instruction services available from Anita Brown Culinary Coach. Learn the tricks of the trade in the comfort of your own kitchen with customized, one-on-one instructional sessions. Demonstrations and gift certificates are also available. Chef Anita likes to say, “Eat well and be well.”
red or green grapes
fresh lemon juice
whipped cream, ice cream or yogurt